Tuesday 9 October 2007

Sensory Over Load!!!



I made it! Here I am sat in New Delhi having found a "cyber cafe" not quite believing that I am here. I can't begin to discribe what I have experienced so I will just try and explain by listing the random things I have been up to.

Arrived on Monday 8th around 6:30am. The taxi ride to the hotel was an experience in it's self. None of the roads have markings and when they do no one sticks to one lane. On arrival at the hotel I had a sip of some (sealed) bottled water which after 2 minutes made me lose my stomach! Nice welcome to India. So when my room became fee I just slept after adding the good old purification tablets to the bottle water. Around 2pm there was a knock on the door. I was in such shock that I opened the door with my eye mask half way up my forehead with all my hair askew to be meet by another traveller, Melissa! She must have had the fright of her life seeing me in that state. I was shocked to know someone was sharing my room as there was only one double bed!! Good job we get on!!!

Sanjay (Don't you just love his name, adds to the experience!) our group leader took us for our first meal in Delhi last night. Very apprehensively we ordered and were surprised how good it all tasted. Lots of locals were eating there too which is always a good sign. We tried Lassi (Rach, it's so nice!) and the whole meal cost a whoppping 3quid! Dead chuffed&still no Delhi Belly.

Today we hit Old Delhi with Sanjay. The bus journey was the funniest thing, no different to the tube with crowding but the chaotic order in which it operated was fasinating. You have to get on at the back and leave by the front. We got on at the front though as the conductor let us. Don't think most of the passengers were happy about this but then they never seem to be happy anyway. They love to stare at us too. This is odd at first but after a while it's ok, I suppose we do look like aliens with our cameras and pale skin! Visiting Old Delhi& the tiny back alliways, Sanjay had us taste ginger tea off a side stale. I was so British about the whole thing at first, having my reservations, but Mel was more enthusiastic so I went with it. After all the liquid was boiled within an inch of it's life!! Surprise Surprise, it was lovely (James you would have liked it due to the Ginger) and no want to vom so I was happy :) He then had us try some food further down the bazarr. I totally freaked but smiled and said ok! (am I mad...YES!) so we had chipati with mint and cauliflour. Again really nice and no signs of dysentry or fever!

Having visited the largest Mosque in Asia (apparently) we went on to the Sikh temple which was so beautiful. We had to take our shoes off again but this time they had to be washed at the door. We also had to cover out heads. Inside was so ornate, everything covered in gold and strewn with strings of orange&yellow carnations. The singing also was wonderful, wonder if they would flog me a CD?!?!?

So now it's free time. Mel and I are alone while Sanjay does some paper work? Oh I forgot to mention, Mel and I are the only ones on the tour so far! We meet another couple in Agra tomorrow but at the mo we have had our own private guide. In some ways this is great in others a bit weird as it would have been good to meet other travellers. Either way we are here and about to venture out on our own. We have decided to get an autorickshaw to India Gate and then another to our hotel to get over this sensory expereince! Luckily the hotel has hot water for a shower! Yeah!!!

Tomorrow is a 6am start(I must set the alarm!)to board a train to Agra where we will visit the Tag Mahal and the Red Fort! Eekk! Sorry no photos yet and also for the bad spelling. You wouldn't believe how sticky the keyboard is...ok maybe you would but hey! I have antibacterial gel, I am fine!!!!

Narmastar (goodbye!) for now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Namaste Miss Julie!
Loving the blog, thanks for your texts.
Dont forget to avoid bang lassi as it's hash - you can tell by the lurid green colour and putrid smell :o)
Kingfisher water is good - look for that but wouldn't hurt to plop the trusty purifcation tablets in there as they have sealing-machines in the side streets for the bottled water - which is from the taps!
Enjoy the Taj Mahal - dont be sucked into any carpet shops and blow your budget :o) Dont forget to take a photo like Princess Di - sit on the marble bench and pout!
Glad you are having fun and being safe,
Rach
xxxxx

Jenny said...

Brill update Jules, I am loving your updates already! Thanks. It's so much fun reading all of your updates with the other girls, and well done on being so adventurous!

Anonymous said...

Hi babe

Love the blog - good to see you are enjoying yourself, wierd to think we are all out travelling!! Hope you are having time to catch up on ours to!!

Take care and have lots of fun, cant wait to see you in Sydney

Debs
x

Ruby said...

OMG jULES.

Ive just read that blog with a pleasnat smile on my face cos being from Pakistan I am only too familiar with all that you just described...!

The roads and lack of sticking to the road marking particularly made me chuckle as the drivers out there are lunatics...! Water is always a troublesome so be very very very careful where u drink from... once u get that dreaded dehli belly - well lets just say it not a nice experience...! AT ALL!

So glad your enjoying your time so far, im just amazed at this adventure uve set upona and am feeling a little ''IWANT TO DO IT TOO!!''

Its eid today (im sure thee must be some sort of celebrations going on in india - so its the end of fasting and Im stuffing myself silly.. - Eid mubarek sweedie! xxx

Ruby said...

OMG jULES.

Ive just read that blog with a pleasnat smile on my face cos being from Pakistan I am only too familiar with all that you just described...!

The roads and lack of sticking to the road marking particularly made me chuckle as the drivers out there are lunatics...! Water is always a troublesome so be very very very careful where u drink from... once u get that dreaded dehli belly - well lets just say it not a nice experience...! AT ALL!

So glad your enjoying your time so far, im just amazed at this adventure uve set upona and am feeling a little ''IWANT TO DO IT TOO!!''

Its eid today (im sure thee must be some sort of celebrations going on in india - so its the end of fasting and Im stuffing myself silly.. - Eid mubarek sweedie! xxx